A Benefit Concert for Asheville Music School
Thursday, April 19, 2018 | 6-9 p.m.
Isis Restaurant & Music Hall in West Asheville
Sound Effects presents a family-friendly evening of topnotch musical entertainment. Following their tradition of covering iconic albums, in 2018, AMS teachers and advanced students will perform the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band in its entirety. Other AMS student/faculty ensembles spanning many musical styles will perform prior to the main showcase. A silent auction and raffle will offer the chance to win unique items and entertainment packages donated by local businesses.
Now in its sixth year, Sound Effects is Asheville Music School’s primary fundraising event. AMS relies on event revenue to keep their programs affordable. Their goal is to raise $20,000 to support AMS operations and the Paul Thorpe Music Education Fund, which funds the scholarship and outreach programs.
Asheville Music School celebrates the power of music to transform lives. A nonprofit community school, AMS houses 40 professional music educators who work with some 600 students throughout the year.
As funding for arts education declines in public schools, AMS is stepping up our commitment to breaking down barriers to music education. The school welcomes new and experienced students of all ages, genders, races, socioeconomic backgrounds, and those with physical and developmental disabilities. They also offer scholarships to help limited-income families, and operate a dynamic outreach program connecting AMS teachers and students with the most vulnerable populations in our community.
AMS core programs include:
• Private music lessons for students of all ages and skill levels
• A need-based scholarship program, providing financial assistance to low-income families
• The Sound Education Outreach program, providing free music performances and classes for thousands of seniors, veterans, the homeless, people in recovery, and those living with chronic illness or disabilities
• Student ensembles that rehearse regularly and perform as part of the Sound Education Outreach program throughout the community
• Summer camps, group classes, workshops and more
More information at www.ashevillemusicschool.org