Fans of WNCW 88.7 FM call the listener supported public radio station “the best in the nation” for a reason. It offers in-depth news, a wide variety of music and great thank you gifts during fundraising time, which happens in the Spring and Fall each year. This year, the theme for thanks comes in the form of outstanding outdoor opportunities.
During the Spring fund drive, which will be held April 8-14, listeners can renew memberships and can become new members by calling in a pledge at 800-245-8870 or donating online here. These thoughtful donations, which have helped keep the WNCW train on the tracks for nearly 29 years, can come with some nifty thank you gifts. This year the station is offering daily giveaways in the form of festival packages, outdoor adventure gift cards, hiking passes and a custom WNCW blue kayak.
“Our listeners love the great outdoors,” said Business and Development Specialist Vicki Dameron. “They are avid hikers, cyclists, mountain climbers, kayakers and canoeists. And, give them a chance to hear good music at festivals underneath the sun, moon and stars and you have some happy campers! We’re thrilled to be able to offer these packages and gifts that really speak to our listeners.”
“This fundraiser we’ll be offering many opportunities for our members to have some cool experiences outside,” said Director of Radio Operations Dave Kester. “We have wonderful community and business partners who value WNCW and they’re gracious enough to support us by contributing to the station. We definitely need support more than ever right now. We’re investing funds into upgrading equipment… we have a new antenna going up on Mount Mitchell, a new transmitter for WSIF in Wilkesboro, NC and new software and equipment upgrades in Studio B, our live performance and recording studio.”
The details of the daily giveaways are as follows:
- A pair of general admission tickets to Chimney Rock State Park
- French Broad River Ultimate Festival Package - Two VIP Passes with on –site cabin for the weekend, parking pass, whitewater rafting for two, and mineral bath for two at Hot Springs Spa.
- Sunrift Adventures In Store Gift Card for $500.
- Daggar Kayak - Roam 95 Model, multi-functional, good for river, ocean, or lake, customized in WNCW blue. Kayak is provided by Confluence Outdoor. Kayak come with WNCW stickers to make the ride even sweeter.
- Bonnaroo - A pair of general admission tickets and one general admission car camping pass.
- FloydFest - Two VIP tickets, one VIP tent bag and VIP on-site parking.
- DelFest – Two 2-day weekend passes (May 26 and 27) and three night hotel accommodations at Ramada Inn Downtown Cumberland (check-in May 25, check-out May 28)
“We appreciate our members’ support and we really look forward to seeing many of them during the fundraisers,” said Membership Coordinator Kim Henson. “We think of them as part of our extended WNCW family.”
There are other items the station offers as thank you gifts for support such as ball caps, t-shirts, pet bowls, car visors, bandanas, CDs, a special Crowd Around The Mic compilation CD set of live performances recorded at WNCW, fishing trips and lots of tickets to concerts and events.
‘It takes a community to keep WNCW going strong, and to thank our members we have nearly 70 special ticket offers available as thank you gifts,” said Station Marketing Coordinator Stephanie Webb. “During the fund drive, listeners can support the station and also receive tickets to shows featuring artists like Alison Krauss, Willie Nelson, Chris Stapleton, MerleFest, Ricky Skaggs, The Wood Brothers and more."
WNCW is famous for its Americana format and National Public Radio News. The non-commercial public radio station is licensed to Isothermal Community College in Spindale, North Carolina. The station hosts/DJs play a wide variety of folk, blues, jazz, bluegrass, rock, reggae, Celtic, world and indie music. It is located on the campus of Isothermal Community College in Spindale, NC.